Saturday, January 13, 2007

Perseverance Pays

After quite a bit of hard work and perseverance, and a minor injury, I might have just tamed the beast a little. I present to you, my feeble attempts.
It’s so pretty stretched out and photographed with a flash. I tried taking some pictures in natural light and it just didn’t look good. I guess light from the flash really needs to shine through those yarn overs. That’s the whole point of lace isn’t it? A play of light on positive and negative space.

So, maybe I can talk a little bit about Jaggerspun Zephyr. Did you know that Zephyr means a “gentle breeze” or “any thing of fine, soft, or light quality”? I was just doing a spell check and clicked on the thesaurus button accidentally. Anyway, I digress.

So at first, I totally did not like the Zephyr at all. It was too thin and too fuzzy and too slippery. But of course all this was really my fault. It’s like a carpenter blaming his tools, when in fact; he can’t cut wood worth shit.

But now, when I got a little somethin'-somethin' going, the Zephyr is quite a joy to work with. I got used to its thinness. However, this is about as thin as I can go though, I can’t imagine how some people work with cobweb weight wool.

A 50-50 blend of silk and wool, it has a beautiful sheen to it. It is also amazingly durable. I must have ripped the same wool at least a dozen times and it didn’t break on me. It just fuzzed up a little.

I am really liking the density of a size 3 US (3.25 mm) needle, thanks to you all. I don’t know how it will look in a stockinette base, but it looks quite nice in garter.

So, there you have it, a little progress picture and a mini yarn review. This is definitely one of those projects like Forbes Forest where it will take me at least a year to complete.