Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Yarn Review - Classic Elite Skye Tweed

Swatching time again!


The yarn above is Classic Elite Skye Tweed. I’ve always wanted to try Barbara Walker’s top down method, so I bought a shit load of this to make a custom Saddle Shoulder Sweater from the Top Down and now I don’t know if I like it.

This is always the problem when buying stuff online, you can’t pet it. I’m very satisfied with the color when it arrived. I’m also satisfied with the weight of the yarn, exactly what I wanted, a little between true worsted and DK.

But the scratchiness factor is super high! When knitting up, it felt like a Brillo pad. Initially, the swatch looked like a door mat, you know, the kind with the big WELCOME on it where you clean off your shoes.

However, washing it changed it a little. My swatch bled faintly in a warm water wash with a few drops of Kookaburra Woolwash.

It definitely softened up and some of the scratchiness went away, but not completely. The stitches got more even and sort of melded together. I could see that the woolen fibers had bloomed into place, creating an ok looking cohesive fabric.

I do have to say though that this is the first time that I actually don't have to ask you all what size needle you like. I am going to knit this in a size 6 US (4.00 mm) needle. There you go, my first confident decision and my first yarn review!